Our group of internet litigators has unique experience representing clients who are being attacked on the internet. We are solely focused on the representation of businesses and professionals when online defamatory attacks are causing substantial harm to reputations and revenues. We have developed legal solutions to a plethora of negative situations that businesses and professionals face online to help our clients stop further defamation, end revenue drain, and recover damages.
We have litigated several high-profile and first-of-their-kind cases on behalf of businesses of all sizes. Below are a few representative examples of results we have successfully obtained for our clients:
- Assisted a successful investment advising company and its CEO in obtaining a judgment against a debtor for his widespread online harassment campaign targeting the company, the CEO and the CEO’s family members, which included countless bogus news articles, blogs and press releases on numerous websites, while further helping to repair each of their reputations online. As a result of the civil work conducted by our team, the individual was eventually charged with criminal harassment, a first in the state.
- Assisted an executive of a privately held corporation in stopping a malicious online defamation and harassment campaign, which primarily targeted the executive’s personal reputation on numerous websites—including social media forums—through false accusations of criminal activity, while also distributing the executive’s personal contact information on pornographic websites.
- Assisted a member of a prominent regulation agency defend his reputation from a multi-year harassment/defamation campaign based on bogus news articles and photo manipulations published on various blogs.
- Assisted professionals and small businesses—including law offices and dentists—identify online attackers, negotiate settlements and recover damages.
- Defeated motions to quash subpoenas to obtain identifying information of anonymous defamers who knowingly caused harm to our clients online.
- Obtained favorable domain dispute decisions, resulting in the transfer of domain names relating to multiple domains containing our clients’ trademarks, which were registered and used to damage our clients’ reputations.
We have extensive experience working with other service providers in the industry and understand that a response to online defamation oftentimes combines both legal and public relations efforts. Vorys has a team of strategic communication professionals that have assisted our clients in these matters and we also have a network of top-notch PR firms across the country.