Defamatory content posted on the internet can destroy the reputation of a small business, a Fortune 500 company, or a professional, such as a doctor, lawyer or accountant. Our team of experienced litigators is unique because we combine the technical acumen of internet attorneys to help clients stop further defamation, end revenue drain and recover damages.
In the wild west atmosphere of the internet, experience matters. Our team innovated in the early years stopping online defamation, and, through those experiences, we have learned when legal tactics will help alleviate problems and what will result in wasted time and money. We are subject subject-matter experts in the field and, unlike many in this space, can call upon the vast resources of an AmLaw 200 law firm. We have been involved in a variety of internet defamation cases and understand how to navigate the common pitfalls. Some of our recent successes include:
- Assisted a successful investment advising company and its CEO in obtaining a judgment against a debtor for his widespread online harassment campaign targeting the company, the CEO and the CEO’s family members, which included countless bogus news articles, blogs and press releases on numerous websites, while further helping to repair each of their reputations online. As a result of the civil work conducted by our team, the individual was eventually charged with criminal harassment, a first in the state.
- Assisted an executive of a privately held corporation in stopping a malicious online defamation and harassment campaign, which primarily targeted the executive’s personal reputation on numerous websites—including social media forums—through false accusations of criminal activity, while also distributing the executive’s personal contact information on pornographic websites.
- Assisted a member of a prominent regulation agency defend his reputation from a multi-year harassment/defamation campaign based on bogus news articles and photo manipulations published on various blogs.
- Assisted professionals and small businesses—including law offices and dentists—identify online attackers, negotiate settlements and recover damages.
- Defeated motions to quash subpoenas to obtain identifying information of anonymous defamers who knowingly caused harm to our clients online.
- Obtained favorable domain dispute decisions, resulting in the transfer of domain names relating to multiple domains containing our clients’ trademarks, which were registered and used to damage our clients’ reputations.
Online defamation cases are complex and oftentimes require the skills of other service providers. We understand how to use our legal services in combination with other service providers and have developed a network of crisis response professionals to assist with these matters. This network includes:
- Strategic Communications – When a company comes under attack, often it is an “all-hands-on-deck” crisis. When warranted, Vorys will call on our network of PR and strategic communications professionals to assist. These experts vary from traditional PR firms because they understand the viral nature of both the internet and social media.
- Search Engine Optimization Specialists – Our crisis response team also includes SEO specialists who can help mitigate damages in an efficient manner.
- Expert Witnesses – Vorys has assembled a collection of expert witnesses who understand the true extent of internet damage and the realistic cost of removing defamation from the internet. These experts are often called in for trials and for cases headed for arbitration.
Across the United States
A business or professional will often seek an attorney based on location. However, because of the highly specialized nature of internet law, there are few attorneys who have significant experience with online defamation. Our team of litigators focuses on these cases daily and often simultaneously work on dozens of cases across the nation. Our attorneys are admitted in many states across the country. Plus, we have a well-developed network of local counsel with whom we work on a regular basis in our capacity as national and regional counsel.
Quick Response is Needed
False statements on the internet can severely damage reputations and cause harm to your revenue. Search engines optimize results by relevancy, not by quality. Lies and deliberate misinformation can spread virally on the internet just as easily as legitimate consumer concerns or complaints. Given the short statute of limitations for online defamation cases, it is important to consider taking action quickly.
Our team has had numerous clients that believed an internet defamation issue would go away. Over time, the issues got worse and when the client wanted to take action, it was often too late. If you are beginning to experience online attacks, it is best to seek counsel regarding your possible solutions sooner rather than later.